The roof is one of the most important, if not the most important, part of your home. This is the primary line of defense against the weather to protect your family and belongings. A great looking new roof in Plymouth Michigan is important and great, but what’s more important is that is it a good roof and not just great to look at. It’s important that once you install a new roof, you keep it up well with proper maintenance. Failing to do so can lead to all sorts of problems.
How to Avoid Emergency Roof Repair in Plymouth Michigan
Over time the roof on your home may start to show signs of age. While it’s common for shingle roofing to break down over time, it should last a good number of years. In fact, even for low-quality roofing shingles the warranty should be at least 10 to 15 years. That is, however, considering that proper maintenance is done to the roof during its time on the roof. There are five very important parts of roof maintenance you must keep up to prevent emergency repairs from being necessary.
- Check for Leaks – Leaks typically begin as a small spot in the roof but often go undetected until they are much more serious – therefore when they will cost you more to have them repaired. Leaks can happen due to small damages that occur from harsh weather, but they often tend to happen due to poor contracting with the installation of the roof. This is why it is very important to do your research when it comes to installing a new roof or even for any roof repairs you make undertake. Only go with contractors with a reputable and reliable history.
- Look at the Soffit – The soffit is the wood under your roof. This is where the outside of your home is distinguished from the inside of your home. This can become damaged from roof leaks or by rodents. It’s important to include this area in your regular inspections so that you can find any damages or issues as soon as possible to prevent them from worsening. If you do notice a problem, you should contact your trusted contractor as soon as possible.
- Check the Fascia – The wooden board that runs along the edge of your roof to finish it off is called the fascia. Since this area gets exposed to weather more than others, it’s a bit more susceptible to damages. Just as with any damages you find to your roof, it is important to have them repaired as soon as possible should you find issues in the fascia.
- Inspect the Shingles – This is the part of your roof that is easiest to just look at. Your shingles are your surface area and you should be able to easily detect issues with a quick look. Usually these are also the first to show signs of wear and tear since they take the brunt of weather and other external factors. Should you find any issues during your regular inspections, it is important that you take care of them as soon as possible to prevent the issues from growing and becoming more major damages.
- Get an Inspection – Every now and then it would be beneficial to have a roof inspection done for your entire roof. This way, anything you may miss since you aren’t a roofing expert can be found before it gets really bad. This can help you to save money as you will catch things before they cause an entire roof replacement before it is time to do so. A professional will also know everything to look for and can tell you just how bad things are if there are problems found.
Don’t Take Chances When it Comes to Your Home’s Roof
If you need any type of roof repairs or replacement it’s always best to use a fully licensed and qualified roofing contractor in Plymouth Michigan. This can protect your warranty and also ensure the project will be done correctly. Call Home Pros Plymouth today in Plymouth Michigan for a free quote on your roofing project at 734-548-9911. They are a fully licensed and insured roofing contractor and offers many roofing services including emergency roof repair.